The Implementation Support Unit exists to support the States Parties to the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention, in particular by doing the following:
- Providing support to all States Parties through support to the Convention’s implementation machinery and office holders,
- Providing support to individual States Parties, including by providing advice and technical support on implementation and universalisation
- Communicating and providing information about the Convention, including towards States not parties and the public, and communicate the decisions and outcomes of the Convention’s meetings,
- Keeping records of formal and informal meetings under the Convention, and
- Liaising, and coordinating as appropriate, with relevant international organisations that participate in the work of the Convention.
The ISU is directly accountable to the States Parties while being hosted by the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining. The ISU is funded on a voluntary basis by the States Parties.