Spain ratified the Convention on 19 January 1999, and the Convention entered into force for Spain on 1 July 1999.
Notwithstanding the obligation to destroy all stockpiled anti-personnel mines, the Convention permits the retention of the minimum number of anti-personnel mines absolutely necessary for the development of and training in mine detection, mine clearance, or mine destruction techniques. As of 2018, Spain has reported having retained 1,547 anti-personnel mines for these permitted purposes. These mines are used for the development of the “Advanced Global System to Eliminate Anti-Personnel Mines” and for demining training courses.
In its initial transparency report submitted on 15 December 1999, Spain reported stockpiled anti-personnel mines under its ownership or possession or under its jurisdiction or control.
In its transparency report submitted on 15 April 2001, Spain reported that it had completed the destruction of all stockpiled anti-personnel mines.
In total, Spain reported having destroyed 849,365 mines.
Spain reported that there were no mined areas under its jurisdiction or control.
Annually and no later than 30 April, each State Party is to update information covering the previous calendar year. The latest Article 7 reports for this State Party can be found on this page.
Each State Party is to take all appropriate legal, administrative and other measures, including the imposition of penal sanctions, to prevent and suppress any activity prohibited to a State Party under this Convention undertaken by persons or on territory under its jurisdiction or control.
Spain has reported having established national implementation measures or that it considers existing legislation to be sufficient.
View, download snapshots of Spain at Convention-related activities on Flickr.
- 20MSP 10d Compliance Spain24 November 2022Español
- 20MSP 10c Coop Spain22 November 2022Español
- 20MSP 10b Art5 Spain22 November 2022Español
- 19MSP 10h Financial Matters Spain19 November 2021Español
- 19MSP 10d Compliance Spain18 November 2021Español
- 19MSP 10b Art5 Spain17 November 2021Español
- 19MSP 10a VA Spain16 November 2021Español
- 19MSP 8 General Statements Spain15 November 2021Español
- IM21 Art5 Spain22 June 2021Español
- 18MSP 9hi Financial Matters Spain20 November 2020Español
- 18MSP 9d Compliance Spain19 November 2020Español
- 18MSP 9a VA Spain18 November 2020Español
- IM20 07 General Statements Spain Written Submission2 July 2020Español
- 17MSP 9c Coop Spain29 November 2018Español
- 17MSP 7 General Statements Spain26 November 2018Español
- 16MSP 11c Committee Cooperation and Assistance Spain20 December 2017Español
- 16MSP 07 General Statements Spain18 December 2017Español
- 15MSP 10c Spain Cooperation and Assistance30 November 2016Español
- 15MSP 08 Spain General Statements28 November 2016Español
- 1PC Spain2 March 2016Español