Afghanistan acceded to the Convention on 11 September 2002, and the Convention entered into force for Afghanistan on 1 March 2003.
In its transparency report submitted on 30 April 2005, Afghanistan reported stockpiled anti-personnel mines under its ownership or possession or under its jurisdiction or control.
Notwithstanding the general obligations under Article 1, the retention or transfer of a number of anti- personnel mines for the development of and training in mine detection, mine clearance, or mine destruction techniques is permitted.
The amount of such mines shall not exceed the minimum number absolutely necessary for the above-mentioned purposes. Afghanistan opted not to retain anti-personnel mines for these permitted purposes.
In its annual transparency report submitted on 30 April 2007, Afghanistan reported that in 2006 it had completed the destruction of all stockpiled anti-personnel mines. In total, Afghanistan reported having destroyed 486,226 anti-personnel mines.
In its initial transparency report submitted on 1 September 2003, Afghanistan reported areas under its jurisdiction or control in which anti-personnel mines were known or suspected to be emplaced.
In accordance with Article 5 of the Convention, Afghanistan undertook to destroy or ensure the destruction of all anti-personnel mines in these areas as soon as possible but not later than 1 March 2013.
On 29 March 2012, Afghanistan submitted a request to extend this deadline. The request was granted at the Twelfth Meeting of the States Parties and a new deadline set for 1 March 2023.
On 4 July 2022, the Permanent Mission of Afghanistan submitted a request to further extend its deadline. The request will be considered at the Twentieth Meeting of the States Parties in Novermber 2022.
Afghanistan has indicated having significant numbers – hundreds or thousands – of landmine survivors. Afghanistan is also a State Party to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Annually and no later than 30 April, each State Party is to update information covering the previous calendar year. The latest Article 7 reports for this State Party can be found on this page.
Article 9 of the Convention states that “each State Party shall take all appropriate legal, administrative and other measures, including the imposition of penal sanctions, to prevent and suppress any activity prohibited to a State Party under this Convention undertaken by persons or on territory under its jurisdiction or control.”
Afghanistan has reported having established national implementation measures or that it considers existing legislation to be sufficient.
Afghanistan held the Presidency of the Convention in 2018. H.E. Suraya Dalil Permanent Representative of Afghanistan to the UN in Geneva led the work of the States Parties as President of the 17MSP. Ambassador Dalil, was the fifth woman to preside over a Meeting of the States Parties since the Convention began its formal meetings in 1999.
Find all the related press releases and photos from Afghanistan's Presidency here.
View, download snapshots of Afghanistan at Convention-related activities on Flickr.
- 20MSP 9 Afghanistan Art5 Ext Req22 November 2022English
- IM21 Art5 Afghanistan22 June 2021English
- IM21 Observations Art5 Afghanistan15 June 2021English
- IM20 Art5 Panel Afghanistan1 July 2020English
- 17MSP 9bi Art5 Afghanistan29 November 2018English
- 16MSP 11b Committee Article 5 Implementation Afghanistan21 December 2017English
- IM17 03 Article 5 Afghanistan8 June 2017English
- 15MSP 10b Afghanistan Art5 Clearance29 November 2016English
- IM21 4 VA Afghanistan22 June 2021English
- IM21 Observations VA Afghanistan15 June 2021English
- 18MSP 9a VA Afghanistan18 November 2020English
- 17MSP 9a VA Afghanistan27 November 2018English
- 16MSP 11a Committee Victim Assistance Afghanistan19 December 2017English
- 15MSP 10a Afghanistan VA29 November 2016English
- 14MSP 02b VA Afghanistan2 December 2015English
- 2021-Afghanistan-Article730 April 2021English
- 2020-Afghanistan-Article730 April 2020English
- 2019-Afghanistan-Article730 April 2019English
- 2018-Afghanistan-Article730 April 2018English
- 2017 Afghanistan Article730 April 2017English
- 2016 Afghanistan Article7Report30 April 2016English
- Article7 Afghanistan 201530 April 2015English
- Article7 Afghanistan 201430 April 2014
- Afghanistan Article 7 report April201330 April 2013English
- 2013 Afghanistan Article7Report30 April 2013English
- Art7Report-Afghanistan-201230 April 2012English
- 2006 Afghanistan Article7Report30 April 2006
- 2005 Afghanistan Article7Report30 April 2005English
- 2004 Afghanistan Art7Report30 April 2004English
- 2003 Afghanistan Article7Report30 April 2003English
- IM21 5 Gender Panel Afghanistan23 June 2021English
- 17MSP 9g Transparency Afghanistan30 November 2018English
- 17MSP 9c Coop Afghanistan29 November 2018English
- 17MSP 2 Opening Afghanistan Foreign Minister26 November 2018English
- 2018-Guide to the 17MSP20 November 2018English
- 16MSP 11c Committee Cooperation and Assistance Afghanistan21 December 2017English
- 16MSP Afghanistan on 17MSP Presidency21 December 2017English
- IM17 07d 16MSP Preparations Afghanistan9 June 2017English
- 15MSP 11 Afghanistan Panel Gender and Mine Action1 December 2016English
- 15MSP 10c Afghanistan Cooperation and Assistance30 November 2016English
- 14MSP 01e Opening Afghanistan30 November 2015English