- Meetings of the States Parties / Review Conferences: The ISU provides briefings and background information to prospective meeting hosts and presidents. The ISU works with hosts and presidents to develop a conceptual approach to the Convention’s formal meetings and subsequently prepares and implements communications strategies. The ISU serves as the main substantive support to the President, assisting in the preparation of meeting documents. In addition, the ISU organises a parallel programme for victim assistance experts, coordinates a programme of side events, leads media-relations efforts, advises delegations on ways and means to participate in meetings, and collects and retains all documentation.
- Intersessional Work Programme: The ISU assists Co-Chairs of the Convention’s Standing Committee in elaborating annual strategic plans and supports them in implementing these plans, including by preparing programmes for the annual meetings of the Standing Committees and in assisting Co-Chairs in communications and bilateral meetings with States Parties. The ISU distributes meeting programmes, background documents and other information to all delegations. In addition, as is the case with the Convention’s formal meetings, the ISU organises a parallel programme for victim assistance experts, coordinates a programme of side events, leads media-relations efforts, advises delegations on ways and means to participate in meetings, and collects and retains all documentation.
- Coordinating Committee: The ISU serves as the secretariat to the Coordinating Committee, which features the President, Co-Chairs and others meeting six to eight times a year to prepare the Intersessional Work Programme and to ensure a sound relationship between intersessional work and the formal meetings of the Convention.
- Article 5 Analysing Group: The ISU serves as the secretariat to the group of States Parties which is mandated to analyse requests for extensions of mine clearance deadlines. This includes preparing agendas and compiling background information, coordinating expert input, executing follow-up actions in accordance with the decisions of the group and making key documentation available to all delegations.
- Contact Groups: The ISU supports the coordinators of, and those participating in, the informal Universalisation Contact Group and Article 7 Contact Group, including by providing background information, disseminating communications on behalf of coordinators and carrying out follow-up actions.
- Sponsorship Programme: The ISU provides a proposed strategic approach to the coordinator of the Convention’s informal Sponsorship Programme twice annually and then acts to implement the decisions of the Sponsorship Programme Donors’ Group.
- Office Holders: The ISU provides support to ensure that representatives of States Parties – big or small, high developed or developing – can fulfil responsibilities related to presiding over the Convention or serving as a Co-Chair of a Standing Committee.