Wednesday 10 May – Thursday 11 May
1. Opening of the meeting
The meeting was opened by its Co-Chairs, His Royal Highness Prince Mired of Jordan, with the support of Azzam Alameddin of Jordan, and, Igor Jukic of Slovenia. The Co-Chairs were assisted by Co-Rapporteurs Camilo Sanhueza of Chile and Ingunn Vatne of Norway.
The Co-Chairs also delivered a statement on the status of implementation of Article 5 of the Convention:
2. Updates from relevant States Parties on the status of implementation
Of the 45 States Parties which have indicated that they are in the process of fulfilling Article 5 obligations, the following provided updates on their implementation efforts:
States Parties with deadlines in 2009:
States Parties with deadlines in 2010
States Parties with deadlines in 2011 or later
3. Lessons from the States Parties that have indicated that they have completed implementation of Article 5
4. Enhancing understanding of the implementation of Article 5
The Co-Chairs presented a discussion paper that elaborated ideas concering the matter of requests for extensions in accordance with Article 5, paragraph 4.
The following States Parties and interested organizations engaged in discussion on this matter:
5. Cooperation and assistance
The following States Parties and organizations provided updates and views on assistance for clearing mined areas:
6. An overview of progress made and challenges that remain in the field of mine risk education
Handicap International delivered a joint statement on behalf of the ICBL and UNICEF on mine risk education efforts.
7. An overview of progress made and challenges that remain in the field of mine action technologies
Professor Marc Acheroy of Belgium, the coordinator of an informal mine action technologiy experts gropu, provided an update on the status of efforts undertaken in the field of mine action technologies: