Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnia and Herzegovina signed the Convention on 3 December 1999, ratified it on 8 September 1998, with the Convention entering into force for Bosnia and Herzegovina on 1 March 1999.
Notwithstanding the obligation to destroy all stockpiled anti-personnel mines, the Convention permits the retention of the minimum number of anti-personnel mines absolutely necessary for the development of and training in mine detection, mine clearance, or mine destruction techniques.
As of 2020, Bosnia and Herzegovina has reported having retained 834 anti-personnel mines for these permitted purposes. These mines are used for mine detection dog training and training polygons in demining areas.
In its initial transparency report submitted on 1 February 2000, Bosnia and Herzegovina reported that as of November 1999, it had completed the destruction of all stockpiled anti-personnel mines under its ownership or possession or under its jurisdiction or control.
In September 2006 Bosnia and Herzegovina informed the Seventh Meeting of the States Parties, that a previously unknown stockpile of anti-personnel mines had been found.
In April 2007, during the Meeting of the Standing Committee on Stockpile Destruction, Bosnia and Herzegovina reported that it had completed the destruction of all stockpiled anti-personnel mines.
In total, Bosnia and Herzegovina reported having destroyed 475,707 mines.
Bosnia and Herzegovina reported areas under its jurisdiction or control in which anti-personnel mines are known or suspected to be emplaced. In accordance with Article 5 of the Convention, Bosnia and Herzegovina undertook to destroy or ensure the destruction of all anti-personnel mines in these areas as soon as possible but not later than 1 March 2009.
On 26 March 2008, Bosnia and Herzegovina submitted a request to extend its mine clearance deadline. The request was granted at the Ninth Meeting of the States Parties and a new deadline set for 1 March 2019.
On 25 April 2018, Bosnia and Herzegovina submitted a second request to extend its mine clearance deadline and on 7 September 2018 Bosnia and Herzegovina submitted a revised request. The request was granted at the Seventeenth Meeting of the States Parties and a new deadline set for 1 March 2021.
On 8 June 2020, Bosnia and Herzegovina submitted a third request to extend its mine clearance deadline and on 25 August 2020 Bosnia and Herzegovina submitted a revised request. The request was granted at the Eighteenth Meeting of the States Parties and a new deadline set for 1 March 2027.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina Mine Action Center (BHMAC) | www.bhmac.org
- Bosnia and Herzegovina Mine Action Strategy (2018-2025)
Bosnia and Herzegovina has indicated having significant numbers – hundreds or thousands – of landmine survivors.
Bosnia and Herzegovina is also a State Party to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Annually and no later than 30 April, each State Party is to update information covering the previous calendar year. The latest Article 7 reports for this State Party can be found on this page.
Article 9 of the Convention states that “each State Party shall take all appropriate legal, administrative and other measures, including the imposition of penal sanctions, to prevent and suppress any activity prohibited to a State Party under this Convention undertaken by persons or on territory under its jurisdiction or control.”
Bosnia and Herzegovina has reported having established national implementation measures or that it considers existing legislation to be sufficient.
View, download snapshots of Bosnia and Herzegovina during Convention-related activities on Flickr.
- IM23 4 Art5 Bosnia and Herzegovina19 June 2023English
- IM23 Observations Art5 Bosnia and Herzegovina14 June 2023English
- 20MSP 10b Art5 Bosnia and Herzegovina Presentation23 November 2022English
- 20MSP 10b Art5 Bosnia and Herzegovina22 November 2022English
- IM22 Observations Art5 Bosnia Herzegovina16 June 2022English
- 19MSP 10b Art5 Bosnia and Herzegovina17 November 2021English
- IM21 Art5 Bosnia and Herzegovina22 June 2021English
- 18MSP 8 Bosnia and Herzegovina Art5 Ext Req16 November 2020English
- IM20 3 Bosnia and Herzegovina Ext Req Informal Presentation30 June 2020English
- 17MSP 8 Bosnia and Herzegovina Art5 Ext Req26 November 2018English
- 2023 Bosnia and Herzegovina Art7Report for202227 April 2023English
- 2020 Bosnia Herzegovina Article7Report30 April 2020English
- 2019 Bosnia Herzegovina Article7Report30 April 2019English
- 2018-BosniaHerzegovina-Article7Report30 April 2018English
- 2017 BosniaHerzegovina Article7Report26 April 2017English
- 2016 BosniaHerzegovina Article7Report27 April 2016English
- Article7 Bosnia Herzegovina 201529 April 2015English
- Article7-BosniaandHerzegovina-201430 April 2014English
- Article7 Bosnia and Herzegovina 201330 April 2013English
- Art7Report-Bosnia-Herzegovina-201230 April 2012English