Japan ratified the Convention on 30 September 1998, and the Convention entered into force for Japan on 1 March 1999.
Obligations under the Convention
Notwithstanding the obligation to destroy all stockpiled anti-personnel mines, the Convention permits the retention of the minimum number of anti-personnel mines absolutely necessary for the development of and training in mine detection, mine clearance, or mine destruction techniques. As of 2018, Japan has reported having retained 1,048 anti-personnel mines for these permitted purposes. These mines are used for education and training in mine detection and mine clearance and research and development of mine clearance equipment.
In its initial transparency report submitted on 27 August 1999, Japan reported stockpiled anti-personnel mines under its ownership or possession or under its jurisdiction or control.
In 2003, Japan reported that it had completed the destruction of all stockpiled anti-personnel mines.
In total, Japan reported having destroyed 1,000,089 mines.
Japan reported that there were no mined areas under its jurisdiction or control.
View, download snapshots of Japan during Convention-related activities on Flickr.
Latest Views and Updates
Article 3 and 4
- 20MSP-10c-Coop-Japan.pdf22 November 2022English
- IM22 7 Cooperation and Assistance - Japan22 June 2022English
- 7PC Japan transcript1 March 2022English
- IM21-Coop-Panel-Japan.pdf22 June 2021English
- IM21-Coop-Japan.pdf22 June 2021English
- 6PC Japan23 February 2021English
- 18MSP-9c-Coop-Japan.pdf19 November 2020English
- IM20-Cooperation-Panel-Japan.pdf30 June 2020English
- 5PC-Japan.pdf25 February 2020English
- 17MSP-9c-Coop-Japan.pdf29 November 2018English
- 16MSP-11c-Committee-Cooperation-and-Assistance-Japan.pdf21 December 2017English
- IM17-04-Cooperation-and-Assistance-Japan.pdf8 June 2017English
- 2PC-Japan.pdf28 February 2017English
- 1PC-Japan.pdf2 March 2016English
- 14MSP-02d-Coop-Japan.pdf2 December 2015English
Article 6.3 (Victim Assistance)
Article 7 Report submitted in
- 20MSP 11 UN Assessed Contributions Japan25 November 2022English
- 18MSP-9hi-Financial-Matters-Japan.pdf20 November 2020English
- 18MSP-10-Assessed-Contributions-Japan.pdf20 November 2020English
- 18MSP-7-General-Statements-Japan.pdf16 November 2020English
- 17MSP-10-UN-Assessed-Contributions-Japan.pdf30 November 2018English
- 17MSP-7-General-Statements-Japan.pdf26 November 2018English
- 16MSP-11f-Universalization-Japan.pdf21 December 2017English
- 16MSP-07-General-Statements-Japan.pdf18 December 2017English
- 15MSP-10f-Japan-Universalization.pdf1 December 2016English
- 14MSP-02a-Universalization-Japan.pdf1 December 2015English
- MineBanConvention-Japanese-オタワ条約のテキスト1 March 1999Other