Cambodia signed the Convention on 3 December 1997, ratified it on 28 July 1999, with the Convention entering into force for Cambodia on 1 January 2000.
In its initial transparency report submitted on 28 June 2000, Cambodia reported stockpiled anti-personnel mines under its ownership or possession.
Notwithstanding the obligation to destroy all stockpiled anti-personnel mines, the Convention permits the retention of the minimum number of anti-personnel mines absolutely necessary for the development of and training in mine detection, mine clearance, or mine destruction techniques.
As of 2020, Cambodia reported having 3 730 anti-personnel mines and other types retained for these permitted purposes.
In its transparency report submitted in 2008, Cambodia reported that it had completed the destruction of all stockpiled anti-personnel mines.
In total, Cambodia reported having destroyed 203,671 mines.
In its initial transparency report, Cambodia reported areas under Cambodia’s jurisdiction or control in which anti-personnel mines are known or suspected to be emplaced.
In accordance with Article 5 of the Convention, Cambodia undertook to destroy or ensure the destruction of all anti-personnel mines in these areas as soon as possible but not later than 1 January 2010.
On 11 May 2009, Cambodia submitted a request to extend its mine clearance deadline.The request was granted at the Cartagena Summit and a new deadline was set for 1 January 2020.
On 27 March 2019, Cambodia submitted a second request to extend its mine clearance deadline. The request was granted at the Fourth Review Conference of the States Parties, Oslo, Norway, and a new deadline set for 31 December 2025.
On 10 May 2023, Cambodia acted upon the decisions of the Fourth Review Conference by submitting an updated work plan for the implementation of Article 5 of the Convention.
Cambodia has indicated having significant numbers – hundreds or thousands – of landmine survivors.
Cambodia is also a State Party to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Annually and no later than 30 April, each State Party is to update information covering the previous calendar year. The latest Article 7 reports for this State Party can be found on this page.
Article 9 of the Convention states that “each State Party shall take all appropriate legal, administrative and other measures, including the imposition of penal sanctions, to prevent and suppress any activity prohibited to a State Party under this Convention undertaken by persons or on territory under its jurisdiction or control.”
Cambodia has reported having established national implementation measures or that it considers existing legislation to be sufficient.
Cambodia held the Presidency of the Convention in 2011. H.E. Prak Sokhonn Vice Minister attached to the Prime Minister of Cambodia led the work of the States Parties as President of the 11MSP.
- Find all press releases and photos from Cambodia's Presidency here.
View, download snapshots of Cambodia during Convention-related activities on Flickr.
- 20MSP 10a VA Cambodia22 November 2022English
- IM22 3 VA - Cambodia20 June 2022English
- 19MSP 10a VA Cambodia16 November 2021English
- IM21 4 VA Cambodia22 June 2021English
- IM19 2 Cambodia VA22 May 2019English
- 17MSP 9a VA Cambodia27 November 2018English
- 16MSP 11a Committee Victim Assistance Cambodia19 December 2017English
- 15MSP 10a Cambodia VA29 November 2016English
- Sisovann Cambodia5 September 2001English
- EUCD Art5 Ghana Conference C3 Cambodia on private partnerships15 February 2024English
- EUCD Art5 Ghana Conference C5 Closing Cambodia as Convention President15 February 2024English
- EUCD Art5 Ghana Conference A1 Opening 5RC President Cambodia13 February 2024English
- 21MSP 15 Election 5RC President Cambodia24 November 2023English
- 21MSP 10c Coop Cambodia23 November 2023English
- 21MSP Cambodia Updated Art5 Ext Req Work Plan en18 September 2023English
- IM23 5 Coop Cambodia21 June 2023English
- IM23 8 21MSP Cambodia21 June 2023English
- 5RC Cambodia Expression of interest29 March 2023English
- 8PC Cambodia24 March 2023English
- 20MSP 10c Coop Cambodia22 November 2022English
- IM22 7 Cooperation and Assistance Cambodia written submission22 June 2022English
- 19MSP 10c Coop Cambodia18 November 2021English
- IM21 Coop Cambodia22 June 2021English
- 18MSP 9c Coop Cambodia19 November 2020English